This post will be VERY detailed and specific. I've been asked countless times to share my story and this seemed like the perfect place! Perhaps it will help someone else out there but if it's a bore - feel free to skip right over.
I've had debilitating allergy-like symptoms since I moved to Columbus. They would get worse in the spring (through the fall) but they'd be present year round. I figured I was allergic to some pine tree, my dog or mold lurking somewhere in the house. I knew I never wanted to get allergy shots and so I lived with it. FOR SEVEN YEARS.
Throughout those seven years, I had also experimented with going gluten-free, eliminating sugar for periods of time, eating grain-free and trying out Whole30. None of my allergy symptoms went away but I saw weight loss, less headaches and more energy.
Sometime in 2015, I stumbled upon the Candida diet
because I was experiencing constant yeast infections. I remember reading the symptom list and thinking, "HOLY CRAP. THIS IS ME." Here were some of them that described me perfectly (and some that might speak to you!):
- Feeling tired and worn down, or suffering from chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
- Digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
- Autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, lupus, psoriasis, scleroderma, or multiple sclerosis
- Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD, and brain fog
- Skin issues like eczema, psoriasis, hives, and rashes
- Irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or depression
- Vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, rectal itching, or vaginal itching
- Severe seasonal allergies or itchy ears
- Strong sugar and refined carbohydrate cravings
I checked out a Candida diet online and decided I would embark on this restrictive lifestyle right after the new year. On January 9th, 2016...I jumped right in.
17 July, 2016