I’m currently on day 22 of the Whole30 diet/detox/elimination diet. I feel like a goddess, I’m at my college weight and I have the energy of a toddler. Besides realizing that REAL food makes you feel like a rockstar, I’ve also discovered a lot about my habits (good and bad).
The habit loop, in my situation, looked like this:
cue (overworking) > routine (neglecting self-care) > reward (eating out + shopping)
For so long I would try fixing the wrong thing. I would try to change the reward. Did you know that you can still spend way too much money on drugstore makeup and coffee? Then I would try to change the routine. I tried to wake up early but still work until the wee hours of the morning. Then I realized that I was just working way too much. So we made 10 changes that drastically changed my life and, in turn, saves us $3,000+ a month in shopping sprees and going out to eat. .
- We cut our client list in half. We had 22 clients in February. Now we have 7. Yes, we fired some.
- Adam and I meet every morning. No matter what. And we talk about money. Every. Day.
- You can’t schedule a meeting with me on Mondays or Thursdays. We use Calendly.
- We hired a business coach.
- Then I hired that business coach as my life coach. More on how amazing Trent is…later.
- Then we hired an assistant/project manager part-time.
- I decided to stop working after 6pm.
- We’re shifting our business model to accommodate small, intense bursts of work vs working with a client on a project that drags out for weeks or months.
- I stopped eating takeout and started eating real food.
- Gilmore Girls became available on Netflix on October 1 so obviously…I’ve been watching a lot of that. Just because I’m done working at 6pm doesn’t mean I’ve become a social butterfly.
Do you habits like this? Things that are consequences of poor self-care? What about awesome habits that have formed in your adult years?
A weekly email where I share things that made me stop and consider: opinions, other articles on the internet, trying new experiences, and products you might like to buy.