Since the start of May, we’ve been traveling a lot. The Death to the Stock Photo city roadtrips led to me visiting my family which led to our trip to the beach which led to a few days in Chicago for a client project which led to Cincinnati for Beyonce (yes, she and Jay were amazing). It’s insane that I never got sick during the last two months because I used to ALWAYS get sick when I would travel. Despite the airports, cabin pressure, being around so many people + lack of sleep…I finally figured out that it was all tied to diet. When I feed my body crap, things don’t go so well. For most of my life I struggled with multiple sinus infections per year, rounds of antibiotics, migraines, feeling bloated, always fatigued + more that would be TMI.
I always enjoy sharing things that have worked for me or ways in which I’ve improved my quality of life in hopes that at least one of you out there can relate and might give it a try. Below I’ve outlined tips, products + advice that might help you eat a bit more clean no matter where you jet off to next! Or maybe you don’t care and you want to skip down to the end where I’m giving away $100 worth of goods from UncommonGoods to help you travel a bit healthier next time….
- Be Prepared (now I’m singing the song from Lion King): I don’t know about you but I’m always awake at like 3am the night before I leave for a trip and haven’t even packed yet. I used to procrastinate with packing my food too but not anymore! Honestly, Amazon is amazing. I order all the necessities a few days before I leave and it arrives on my doorstep! No need to look like a zombie walking through the 24-Hour Kroger two hours before my flight.
- Avoid White Crap. I’m guten-free (and have been since Feb 2012!) but I also avoid sugar and grains too. While I’m traveling I also try to avoid potatoes, cheese + cow’s milk. I still eat all of these things occasionally but I have to bring my A-game while I travel. It’s not the diet for everyone but it’s perfect for me. I’m not Paleo but food that is Paleo is real food so I don’t hate!
- Only Pack What You Love. If you hate kale like me then don’t lie to yourself and pack a crap ton of kale chips thinking you’re going to “eat healthy” on vacation. PUHHHLEASE. Pack what you actually like eating (or alternatives to the crappy stuff you crave). So for me? I pack plantain chips because at any moment I want to be able to eat guac and salsa. I also love these specific ones because the bags are small enough for me to bring them without busting out a huge, family-sized bag of chips in a restaurant.
- Be Strategic About Meals. I’m not a morning person so you definitely won’t see me up and ready for breakfast in the AM. Since I know this about myself, I know that whatever I pack should probably cover a late breakfast of sorts. I usually turn to homemade granola, Lara Bars or (if I have access to a kitchen), I’ll bring or buy stuff for a smoothie. Then I just need to plan specifically around lunch + dinner day-to-day. Those are the meals that are usually more social anyways.
- Snag + Pack Foods That Travel Well. Unless you have a refrigerator built into your backpack (um, I need that) then you need to be on the look out for foods that travel well. On my list: avocados, bananas, bars + granola, crackers.
- Don’t Let Yourself Get Hangry. If I make sure I have an adequate amount of snacks available and don’t let myself get hungry angry then I won’t get lazy and eat crap at a restaurant. When I get to that stage of feeling hungry, I will let my guard down and then I’ll find myself on the toilet. Lovely.
- Bring Your Own Gear. Just recently we started bringing our own “gear.” When I say gear I mean:
- Hamilton Beach blender (small but blends ice + frozen fruit). On vacation I just kept peanut butter, spinach, almond milk and bananas on hand for a breakfast smoothie!
- Containers to store food if we’re just out for the day, want to store my grain-free bread and stuff like that.
- My water bottle! I drink so much water during the day so it made sense that when I would travel I would get dehydrated.
- Portable phone chargers. This is huge. I use Yelp to search “gluten-free” or “Paleo” when trying to find restaurants. I use an app to create white noise so I can sleep and well…Instagram.
Now let’s get to the FUN stuff! A giveaway!
I’ve teamed up with UncommonGoods to giveaway some of my favorite items + things that will help you all feel a bit more prepared when trying to eat clean. After chatting with them, I started digging into all their other sections besides home & garden. If you’re in the market for some unique, handmade gifts then you should check out this stuff. I’m already planning on buying this donut pillow. If I can’t eat it, I might as well snuggle with it. Check out more home decor here.
I’ve given you guys a lot of ways to enter and I’ll be choosing + announcing the winner on Friday on the 4th of July! I did not receive an compensation for writing this post. Just $100 worth of credit that I’m using on one of YOU all!
Win all this stuff! Worth $100. Ohhh yeah.
Be Up & Doing in Your Inbox
Enter your email below and you'll get a weekly digest of any new posts from Be Up & Doing sent directly to your email inbox!