I’m currently watching through Sex and the City. A show, for the most part, about:
- Sometimes single women in their 30’s living in Manhattan…
- I got married at 22 and live in the Midbest
- Who wear fur, smoke cigarettes and lust after heels…
- I think my grandma owns fur, I smoked in high school (gasp!) and firmly believe that women who wear high heels every day are a rare form of superhero
- So obviously I love everything about it but can relate to absolutely nothing.
The show really makes me realize that I hate drinking liquor, avoid most jewelry and was never into complicated clothing or relationships. I tend to gravitate towards the basics. I started thinking about what items I would need day-to-day and how simplified I could really get. This year we traveled to NYC twice, Hawaii, Chicago + more and I never missed anything back at home (besides my pup).
Here’s a quick visual list of the only things I’d really “need” or use daily. If I found out I was boarding a plane in an hour and had to grab everything I think I’d want…this is what I’d choose. Obviously I omitted food and basic clothing because…obviously. Not going for the hungry, naked vibe.
- MacbookPro (I would forego my external hard drive and rely on Dropbox exclusively)
- My Moleskine notebook! Used for sketching, notes, wireframes + handlettering
- Prismacolor brush markers. My all time fave. After I’m done with a hand lettering project, I snap a photo on my iPhone, email it to myself and drag it into Photoshop/Illustrator
- Our Aeropress. You can find grounds anywhere but you can save some extra cash when you travel when you make it in your hotel room/Airbnb. No more worrying that you’ll be stuck with drip.
- Benefit’s Fake Up concealer. It’s moisturizing and covers the dark circles.
- Burt’s Bees lip balm. If I don’t have it (or something similar), I spazz.
- My glasses! I get mine from Warby Parker. About $130 for the frames and lenses since my eyesight is a bit worse than most.
- My Canon 6D and a prime lens. I’m upgrading to the Mark III soon and I’m pumped.
- Lush’s Mint Julep lip scrub. My lips are…big. I can’t have them be dry and flakey too.
- Good shoes. I just snagged these Sam Edelman booties.
- Everlane’s Reverse Denim Tote. SO roomy and comfortable to carry.
- A wallet.
- My iPhone!
Would you be able to pack just one bag and be okay while traveling? I figure I could get the basics, get a blowout instead of washing my hair or buy a book if I need something extra.
Be Up & Doing in Your Inbox
Enter your email below and you'll get a weekly digest of any new posts from Be Up & Doing sent directly to your email inbox!