Blogs tend to be very curated. Mine’s no exception. Most of us post photos of ourselves where we’re showing our good side. The ones you see of me are usually from days when I’ve showered (hint: it doesn’t happen very often). We style our workspace strategically. We every-so-lightly edit.
The manicured life can be beautiful. Inspiring. So, so clean. But in reality – my life is not like that at all. Don’t get me wrong. My life is wonderful but it’s also really weird. I’m quirky. And gosh am I particular.
I found this photo while looking through my camera uploads. It’s from the weekend at my family’s lakehouse. I didn’t shower the entire 3 days we were there. I wore my pajamas the whole time. I’m eating ice cream for lunch. I passed on the makeup. And I’m about to laugh because my friend Ben is about to fake punch me in the head. This photo feels more like me than any other photo on the internet.
At WMC Fest last weekend, I had a nice chat with my friend Lisa. We discussed how weird it is to be known online by strangers, acquaintances and friends. You really have to be intentional about being your true self because it’s easy to curate this life online. After blogging for 4.5 years – it’s starting to feel foreign when I don’t let the weird out a little.
So in effort to keep this space real, here are some unique facts about me:
- My sense of smell is reallllllly strong. Like, I think I might be a superhero. But because of my sensitive nose, I sneeze and get really overwhelmed by smells too. To the point where I’m overly dramatic (I’m sure).
- I’ve shared this before but I’m a huge slob. I currently have a pile of clothes sitting next to my bed on the floor. A glass of wine from last night at my desk. None of my dishes are washed from dinner. Tumbleweeds. All over.
- I make up words constantly and use them in ordinary conversation with Adam. He fully supports this and has jumped on the bandwagon.
- I have the weirdest nicknames for Desh. So weird that I don’t even know how to share or spell them. Okay fine I’ll try. Deedersplob. Splodie-Cat. Bubberwubbers. Yeah, it’s nauseating.
- Some nights I go to bed around 3-4am and sleep for a full 8-9 hours. But no matter what time I go to bed, I ALWAYS get 8 hours of sleep. That’s one reason my boss is so cool (it’s funny because I am that boss).
- I still can’t properly shave my legs. It’s like my knees have a force field and no matter how hard I try….fail.
- I rarely get offended. The most raunchy joke will still make me laugh.
- When I was 5, I used to get this “weird feeling.” I explained it to my mom and she tells me it was probably when I started to become self-aware. Ha. I basically realized that if I were to die – the world would keep going. It was a very overwhelming feeling as a five-year-old.
- After binge watching The Walking Dead earlier this year, I almost mistook a mouth-breather for a walker. I was in TJ Maxx.
- If I’m really hungry, I wonder what my dog’s food tastes like. I’ve still never tried it.
How are you quirky? Is it cool if I start letting it get a little weird up in here?