Over the past year, I’ve really simplified my wardrobe. This summer I found myself wearing the same few pieces over and over. 80% of those items are from Everlane. I’m hooked and I don’t see myself parting ways anytime soon! Before purchasing one of their silk blouses, I scoured the internet for a review or a photo of someone wearing one! Obviously the models on the site are gorgeous (and tall) and so I never really know if something will fit my smaller frame. I decided to bite the bullet and order it anyway.
The verdict: I LOVE IT. I’m 5 feet tall (and no inches) and the XS fit me perfectly. It’s loose enough that it’s extremely comfortable. Perfect length in the arms and it’s easy to tuck in since it’s not bulky. So what are my other favorites from Everlane?
Their new Seed Stitch Raglan sweater (in an XS, light grey) is so comfortable. It’s loose and not too form fitting. Perfect paired with a pair of shorts or jeans. I want one in every color!
And of course, their basic women’s V has been my go-to ALL summer. I own 2 in black and 2 in white. I got an XS and a Small in each since I like the looser fit sometimes. They’re the ONLY v-necks that I own that don’t wrinkle horribly after I wash/dry them. For $15, you really can’t beat it. I plan on getting it in Stone or Slate next.
So there you have it! My favorite Everlane products. I do love their Ryan tees (tanks and shirts) but haven’t tried the new ones since they re-launched. If you sign up, use my affiliate code! I get credit but I promise you won’t regret it. I trust this brand 100%! And I didn’t get paid or compensated for this post. Just sharin’ the love.
PS: If you want to help me simplify my life ever MORE, head on over and shop my closet on Instagram! All proceeds will be used for…probably another Everlane blouse :)
Username is: @alliepal_closet
I’ll be in Indianapolis all day tomorrow! If you’re in the area, we could potentially hang out in various ways:
- Come hear me speak at The Bindery (Harrison Center for the Arts) during your lunch break. I’ll be chatting about blogging for profit AND fun with my gal Erika. Register here.
- We could get coffee! I love coffee.
- You could book a quick 30 minute photoshoot with me!
Let me know, you lovely Indy locals!
The other day I realized that my mom and dad watch the news a lot (on tv). Before work, while making dinner and in the evening. They also read the local paper daily.
We don’t have cable and I don’t get a newspaper delivered. I actually tend to get most of my “breaking news” on Twitter and read about things happening in real time before most even know about it (perk of staying up super late?). While I know of things happening, I don’t always fully grasp a lot of world news. I want to be better about it but I don’t really know where to start (or where to get unbiased information).
How are you informed of current events? Do you subscribe to larger media outlets? Do you depend on social media?
I made a collage for fun the other night while I was experimenting with different brushes in Illustrator. I’ve enjoyed getting back to drawing lately. You can see my sketches from the other day here on my Instagram account. I decided that since I was on a spending freeze – I should draw everything on my wish list. It was quite therapeutic. What else has been catching my eye?
- Summer-esque images. For awhile the temperatures were really cool. I got used to it but lately it’s been closer to 90 degrees and I’m crushing on summer again. I think I need to hit up a pool or a lake this weekend.
- Brushes, pens and markers. I’ve enjoyed making marks, drawing and sketching lately. Whether I’m using my Micron pens in my Moleskine or testing out brushes with my Wacom tablet – it’s good to get back to the basics.
- Cigarettes and tattoos. I’m definitely not edgy but I notice those who are. The truth is is that I love the smell of cigarettes outside. And I drool over a lady with a gorgeous tattoo sleeve.
Not pictured: Type Is Sweet, Story of a Designer’s Life, I support crushes on Lake Bell, this Maison Scotch Ikat scarf for fall, and all the vectors.
What has caught your eye lately? Any trends? Products? Ideas? I want to hear about it all!
I know I haven’t done many Here We Go posts lately but I figured if I were to resurrect the series, it should be for Canva. I’ve been chatting with Hannah from Canva (oh a rhyme!) for months now. We’re partnering with them for our Haute Blog workshops this fall (in Chicago and Indianapolis) and they just launched their beta! I received access to it awhile ago and have been SOOO impressed.
I am always saying, “Blogging doesn’t have to break the bank,” and Canva is that solution. It’s a free design platform that is perfect for blogging. I made the graphic up at the top in like…2 minutes. No lie. I also thought I’d share a few screenshots of the process too:
I decided to choose the photo collage option and kind of wing it. I liked the circular type element and so I clicked on it (over on the left) and it appeared on my workspace.
I clicked over to the backgrounds option and clicked on the pink texture. I deleted the photo placeholders and bingo! Very intuitive.
I changed the color of the circle, the fonts and could arrange any part wherever I wanted.
When you choose to publish (or you can share a public link), it asks you if you want a PNG or a PDF. I saved to my desktop and used it above!
It’s really that easy and Canva did not ask me to write this post. I wanted to share the love and encourage you bloggers to request a username! Also, if you attend our Chicago or Indianapolis Haute Blog workshop – you will receive your own account! No wait list for you!
*Also, the colors do seem a bit off after I exported it but I’m going to follow up to see where the issue is coming from! Gotta love beta!
Blogs tend to be very curated. Mine’s no exception. Most of us post photos of ourselves where we’re showing our good side. The ones you see of me are usually from days when I’ve showered (hint: it doesn’t happen very often). We style our workspace strategically. We every-so-lightly edit.
The manicured life can be beautiful. Inspiring. So, so clean. But in reality – my life is not like that at all. Don’t get me wrong. My life is wonderful but it’s also really weird. I’m quirky. And gosh am I particular.
I found this photo while looking through my camera uploads. It’s from the weekend at my family’s lakehouse. I didn’t shower the entire 3 days we were there. I wore my pajamas the whole time. I’m eating ice cream for lunch. I passed on the makeup. And I’m about to laugh because my friend Ben is about to fake punch me in the head. This photo feels more like me than any other photo on the internet.
At WMC Fest last weekend, I had a nice chat with my friend Lisa. We discussed how weird it is to be known online by strangers, acquaintances and friends. You really have to be intentional about being your true self because it’s easy to curate this life online. After blogging for 4.5 years – it’s starting to feel foreign when I don’t let the weird out a little.
So in effort to keep this space real, here are some unique facts about me:
- My sense of smell is reallllllly strong. Like, I think I might be a superhero. But because of my sensitive nose, I sneeze and get really overwhelmed by smells too. To the point where I’m overly dramatic (I’m sure).
- I’ve shared this before but I’m a huge slob. I currently have a pile of clothes sitting next to my bed on the floor. A glass of wine from last night at my desk. None of my dishes are washed from dinner. Tumbleweeds. All over.
- I make up words constantly and use them in ordinary conversation with Adam. He fully supports this and has jumped on the bandwagon.
- I have the weirdest nicknames for Desh. So weird that I don’t even know how to share or spell them. Okay fine I’ll try. Deedersplob. Splodie-Cat. Bubberwubbers. Yeah, it’s nauseating.
- Some nights I go to bed around 3-4am and sleep for a full 8-9 hours. But no matter what time I go to bed, I ALWAYS get 8 hours of sleep. That’s one reason my boss is so cool (it’s funny because I am that boss).
- I still can’t properly shave my legs. It’s like my knees have a force field and no matter how hard I try….fail.
- I rarely get offended. The most raunchy joke will still make me laugh.
- When I was 5, I used to get this “weird feeling.” I explained it to my mom and she tells me it was probably when I started to become self-aware. Ha. I basically realized that if I were to die – the world would keep going. It was a very overwhelming feeling as a five-year-old.
- After binge watching The Walking Dead earlier this year, I almost mistook a mouth-breather for a walker. I was in TJ Maxx.
- If I’m really hungry, I wonder what my dog’s food tastes like. I’ve still never tried it.
How are you quirky? Is it cool if I start letting it get a little weird up in here?
I’ve been experimenting and playing around with some new concepts while shooting photography lately. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be hosting a “pop-up shop” at a local space where I’ll be photographing kids, families or anyone who wants a unique portrait! I’m pretty excited and trying to figure out the details now before the holidays. If you’re local – let me know if you’d be interested!
*Photography by Allie Lehman
Some snapshots from our weekend at Weapons of Mass Creation Fest. It was awesome. Read what we learned here.
Oh and our friend Brandon KILLED it as a speaker. Seriously proud.
I fell in love with Bloglovin’ last night. I’m seriously always late to the party. I spent a better portion of my evening catching up on all my old favorite blogs. Many of them were literally the first blogs that I regularly read. Many inspired me to get back into photography. They were blogs about beauty. No giveaways. No hype. Nothing but beauty, really. Here are just a few:
I had imported my Google Reader feed into Bloglovin’ years ago and am so impressed with how it has evolved since I last logged on. I also realized that I had my blog listed under the wrong (old) name and was following blogs from a different account entirely. Oy.
So follow my blog with Bloglovin and leave a link to yours below so I can follow YOU!
*PS: Links in comments sometimes keep them in moderation but I’ll be sure to approve them all asap!