While I hope this post is extremely helpful, I also think it’s the silliest thing I’ve done here on my blog. Taking photos of yourself is the weirdest (unless you’re a model…or aspiring to be). BUT I wanted to give you all an idea of what I wear every day because it’s about as simple as it gets. I’m still figuring out what fits my body type best. I’m really short (exactly five feet tall). Every time I meet someone from the internet, they say, “You’re so much shorter than I thought!”
How I’ve Tweaked my Capsule Wardrobe Method
A year or two ago, I discovered the capsule wardrobe method and loved it. It’s become more natural and less focused as time goes by. Back in March (when it was still frozen), I started shopping for spring and summer clothes. I was buying cute little lace shirts, crop tops and lots of maxi skirts. About half of the stuff I was buying online wasn’t fitting right (denim shorts that were twice my size, shirts that were too tight or pieces that wrinkle the minute you sit down).
Once we headed out for our huge road trip in May, I grabbed only a few outfits that I knew I loved. They lasted me two weeks straight on the road and I realized that they all had a few things in common: they were comfortable, they were neutral and they contained a small percentage of spandex or rayon. I like a basic grey/black/white tee + jeans and I’m set.
Current Base (and still building!)
I’ve included eight outfits based on some of my favorite shirts/tops. It doesn’t include a few pieces that were in the wash (favorite AE jeans, Free People grey tee and a Lulu’s camo tee).
- Forever 21 tank top (57% cotton, 38% polyester, 5% spandex), Henry and Belle jean shorts and Birkenstocks
- Uniqlo tank top (70% modal, 30% linen), Target cardigan (100% rayon), jean shorts from Nordstrom, Mohinder sandals
- Lulu’s Tee Spirit Black tee (95% modal, 5% spandex), American Eagle jeans in short, strappy sandals from Target years ago
- Nasty Gal Play Favorites tee (93% rayon, 7% spandex), Urban Outfitters lace shorts, Jessica Simpson wedges
- Lulu’s Slice Going Ivory tee (95% rayon, 5% spandex), Rag and Bone jeans, strappy sandals from Target years ago
- Kit and Ace Calvert tee in black (Technical Cashmere that’s machine washable), American Eagle jeans, Jessica Simpson wedges
- Lulu’s City Life Beige tank (95% rayon, 5% spandex), jean shorts from Nordstrom, ankle booties from Nordstrom Rack
- Leith tank top from Nordstrom (60% polyester, 22% cotton, 18% rayon), American Eagle jeans, Jessica Simpson wedges
Tips and Tricks
I machine wash everything but I line dry the items that contain spandex. Honestly, I don’t wash my clothes every time I wear them. I try to get a few wears out of them before washing. I sit in our airconditioned studio all day so I have the ability to do that. Your clothes will last longer if you try not to run them through the machines.
After learning that I love a super soft tee/tank, I’m able to go shopping in-person pretty easily. I look for stuff that’s soft and I make sure that it’s not ‘dry clean only.’ When I’m shopping online, I do the following:
- I’ll search a combination of color (nude, black, white, grey) or fabric (rayon, spandex, cotton).
- I’ll check out how tall their models are because a shirt that hits a 5’10” model at the hip will be really long on me!
- If I’m browsing by style, I’ll just be sure to check the reviews and specs/details.
- I also will check the petite sections on shops like Anthro or ASOS.
I know that I look taller when I wear dark tops with dark pants (even taller with heels). Outfit #3 paired with the pose makes me look a few inches taller which can be a confidence booster when I need it. I’m currently diving into dresses/skirts to find what works for me best.
Any fellow short ladies have any of their own tips on buying clothes that fit + feeling boss?