Entrepreneurship, Personal

Thoughts from an Introvert

Introvert1

Currently trying to work through:

1. How much time to spend with people before they become a client. 15 minutes on the phone seems too short, an hour in-person is exhausting.
  2. How to spend time by myself without it being centered around my phone or a bright screen. And not feeling guilty when that’s sometimes what I want to do.
  3. And to add to that: knowing the difference between activities that temporarily relax me and ones that actually fill me up.
  4. Scheduling time or days off when we schedule multiple jam sessions in one week. And remembering that I shouldn’t schedule social activities the night of a jam session. 12+ hours of socialization doesn’t work.
  5. That presenting design work is a form of vulnerability and can leave me feeling alive but also tired.
  6. Compromise with my co-worker/husband and I can’t just be a hermit. Even when it’s so cold.

PS: I wrote an ebook about introversion while also being a professional/girl boss. We also have an Instagram. #introvertsunite

• Reply emily

#introvertprobs
    so real. the struggle is soooo real.
    xoxo
    e
    emmyjake

February 11, 2015 at 1:14 PM
  • Reply DT

I can relate to all of them..
    -DT

February 11, 2015 at 6:55 PM

We’re not alone!!

February 12, 2015 at 5:02 PM
  • Reply Diana

I love being alone, especially going to the movies. But I go through phases. I remember when you asked to meet up and I seriously had a mini panic attack. Nothing personal of course, it was all on me. The variety of having a conversation with another person other than my husband and my pets wasn’t something I could handle at the time. Then a few months later, I’m like a Walmart greeter everywhere I go. Weirdo.

February 12, 2015 at 2:01 AM

Diana, I can totally relate. I’ve been known to cancel trips or have breakdowns with houseguests because of my introversion. Seems silly when you’re not experiencing it (even now I’m like…what?). So I totally understand.

February 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM
      • Reply Denise

It’s such a relief to see that I am not the only one who suffers from these intense bouts of introversion!

February 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM
  • Reply Lexi

Allie,
    I just bought your e-book and i love it! It is seriously just what I needed. Also this blog post reminds me of myself! I always find myself being a hermit, and then when I force myself to be social for too long I get so tired!! Introverts unite!

February 12, 2015 at 5:05 AM

That is SO affirming to hear, Lexi!! Excited to know you now.

February 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM
  • Reply Alannah Renee

I’m a huge introvert (100% on Meyer-Briggs) and have found things to be difficult – especially when working with others. I’ve just found your blog and LOVE it. I’ll be buying your ebook soon.

February 12, 2015 at 9:31 AM

It’s tough isn’t it? I’m learning how to be a boss/leader and it’s challenging. I hope you enjoy the ebook!!

February 12, 2015 at 5:41 PM
  • Reply Naomi

“knowing the difference between activities that temporarily relax me and ones that actually fill me up.” – I can so relate. I feel like that with my phone and computer -it distracts me for 5 min as procrastination, but doesn’t particularly contribute to my energy and differs from the way I feel after reading, painting, etc. Thanks for paving the way for us introverts Allison!

February 12, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Exactly! I find that letting it die or leaving it at home is the best method because it’s harder for me to read a book when it’s sitting there. So crazy!

February 17, 2015 at 12:28 AM
  • Reply Danielle

One of my favorite topics, especially when related to entrepreneurship. Finding the right balance is so important, and an ongoing struggle. One thing I need to start doing is scheduling a complete day off after traveling. I tend to jump right back into work and it takes me twice as long to recover that way.

February 15, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Oh that’s a REALLY good idea. I should have done that today. We got home from our trip late and then I had a full day and was exhausted!

February 17, 2015 at 12:28 AM
  • Reply Amy

Ahhh, Allie. I hear you on so many levels. Working remotely has been a huge help for me. I don’t go home feeling drained, but I do notice that even on days when I have a lot of Skype/phone meetings, it still take a toll. And I wrestle with the whole “always connected” thing — even though I enjoy quiet time pinning or playing on Instagram. I’m currently trying to figure out how to add some variety (and away-from-deskness into my life). That doesn’t mean forced social time, but other activities that give me joy and maybe get me out of the house throughout the week. Looking forward to hearing more on how you manage all of this in your own life.

February 15, 2015 at 9:53 PM

I agree, Amy. We have a studio, but days that I work from home are always needed. I have to gear up for skype and phone calls too! Cooking, lately, has been a great way for me to disconnect and do something that is fun.

February 17, 2015 at 12:30 AM
  • Reply Notes and Moments No. 2

[…] BLOG LOVE | Allie Lehman, have you heard of her? She designed this here website, runs two amazing companies, The Wonder Jam and Death to the Stock Photo, but somehow also finds time to write thoughtful, honest articles that always make me think. Here’s a recent favorite. […]

May 30, 2015 at 5:06 AM