Personal

In Search of the Perfect Couch

Couch

If you came over to my house, I’d tell you to take a seat. On my lumpy, uncomfortable couch. So sweet of me, right? We bought our couch when we moved into our townhouse in 2012 and it’s seen better days. We snagged it from World Market for a mere $650. We’re high rollers, obviously.

Here’s the deal, I work a lot. I’m not far from being 30 years old. I need an adult couch. And I’m willing to drop some mad cash. One that I can sink into. One where you could cuddle comfortably with another person (aka Adam). One where my dog won’t smash the back cushions down because he is strangely cat-like.

So I’m asking you! Do you have a couch that you love? I need recommendations.

*Couch doodle by me. It doesn’t look that comfortable. The font is Core Circus.

• Reply Elizabeth

We felt the same way, so we bought our couch from Bassett. You get to design every single aspect of it-depth of seat, cushion filler (foam or down), arm style, etc. it was the only way we felt we could gt exactly what we wanted.

April 14, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I am sooo intrigued. Checking it out NOW. Thanks Elizabeth :)

April 14, 2014 at 8:25 PM
  • Reply Sarah

I went crazy searching for the perfect couch when I bought my house. Found the perfect LOOKING couch (mid century), but in practice it needed to be much larger and smushier. Now I have a giant sectional-type couch that fits 6 people comfortably and my dog has in-fact squashed one of the cushions to his liking. Go for comfort over cute!

April 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I honestly knew I would do the same thing if I didn’t honestly think about COMFORT. That has to be it! Even if it’s a generic micro suede poop colored couch :)

April 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM
  • Reply jenn

I bought a couch in 2003 from Ethan Allen. It was expensive, but I STILL love it. It’s super comfy. I have dreams of reuphulstering it, but in reality the fabric (microfiber) is still fine.

April 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Yeah I am thinking of looking at a place like that and I don’t even care how pretty it is. I just want it to be super comfortable.

April 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM
  • Reply Angela

Oh man I’m looking for the perfect couch as well! It’s SO difficult. If you find one, please let me know!!

April 15, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I sure will! Some of these are EXPENSIVE though. Gotta start saving my pennies.

April 18, 2014 at 3:27 PM
  • Reply Molly

We splurged on a Crate & Barrel couch, the Axis line. Some days I seriously want to sleep on it instead of my bed! It’s so amazing. If you go to the Easton location you can sit on all the various styles and test them out! I was hesitant at first bc I had never spent so much $$$ on furniture but then I was so thrilled once it arrived.

April 15, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Ohhh that looks amazing and it’s on sale right now! Thanks Molly!

April 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • Reply Carly

We’ve had to buy all our furniture over the last year since moving to Portland because our apartment in Amsterdam was furnished. It has been quite the expense and required budget finds here and there, but we decided to splurge for a Kensington sofa from Restoration Hardware. It’s so cozy and the green velvet is unique, we couldn’t be happier with it. Good luck with your search!

April 16, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I’m really learning towards Restoration Hardware but with that kind of price tag we’ll probably make the purchase closer to Christmas. Still so exciting! Thanks Carly!

April 18, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  • Reply cece rider

I’ll take your couch! haha
    Also- I LOVE restoration hardware’s distressed leather couches. They have some that are too structured, but others that are perfect.

April 16, 2014 at 10:16 PM

LOL!! Even in it’s smashed-ness? We always sit on Restoration’s couches when we’re at Easton and just drool (away from the fabric).

April 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM
  • Reply Betsy

Restoration Hardware is pricy, but worth every penny. Everything is deep, cushy yet still somehow firm. Fabrics are surprisingly durable, too. We were going to splurge last year and then I found an unbelievable deal at West Elm and we did that instead. Huge mistake which will only be corrected by saving our pennies for the real Resto. deal.

April 18, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Their stuff is so freakin’ amazing. So far I’ve had lots of Restoration suggestions so we’ll probably go that route…

April 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM
  • Reply Marissa

JCPenny. Hands down has the best deals (you can use multiple coupons), great options and stylish too! We love ours but sadly the pets have taken it over. Good luck in your search!

April 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I am so intrigued about JCPenny’s couches. Can’t wait to skype!

April 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM
  • Reply Shannon

We were in the same situation and I fell in love with the Crate and Barrel Lounge! Seriously SO comfortable and pretty on the eyes too!

April 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM