Personal

Things I’ve Learned Since Simplifying My Wardrobe

DeathtoStock_Vday8

Since I posted about simplifying my wardrobe, I’ve learned a lot more about my style. When I first started paring down my clothes, I had an idea of who I wanted to be in my mind. On my mood board I had lots of sweaters, blazers, blouses, animal print pants (?), and heels.

Maybe it’s this brutal weather but this winter I learned that I do not like:

• Oxfords (My feet are child-sized and look clunky)
  • Blazers (I like feeling restricted)
  • Anything lighter than a dark, dark denim.
  • HEELS.

But for real on the heels. I have practically lived in my knee-high boots since November. I keep them anyway thinking that I’ll someday wear them.

As spring nears (gosh I hope spring is near) I’m starting to think through my warmer-weather-style. I’m taking a trip to Las Vegas and San Diego this month and I realized I don’t really have anything to wear for that climate. When I purged my closet, a lot of those clothes didn’t make the cut. I want a little more personality than my winter wardrobe…while still making it easy to get dressed in the morning.

While I figure this out, follow along on my Warmer Weather Uniform Pinterest board! Next week I’ll share how I prep for my west coast trip while keeping a budget!

• Reply Shannon

Ah, yes! Warm weather wardrobes are an entirely different beast. I am eager to see what catches your eye!

We are going to Vegas this month too! I haven’t begin to plan what we will do there. But after this winter, it might just be sit by the pool.

March 4, 2014 at 7:10 AM

They sure are! There is something comforting about a big baggy sweater :) Skimpy shirts and tank tops can be such a slap in the face after a winter like we’ve had!

When will you be in Vegas??

March 10, 2014 at 2:25 AM
  • Reply Dani

I followed in your footsteps and simplified my wardrobe. I now have pieces that are made well and are classic. I too however purged a lot of summer clothes so I am looking forward to adding a few pieces soon!

March 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Love it!! Isn’t it grand? I just bought about 10 pieces from ASOS with $200 and I’m pretty happy with the quality and style. Hope to share soon!

March 10, 2014 at 2:25 AM
  • Reply Kelly Brito

Love the “Warmer Weather Uniform” board idea. I currently have a single clothing inspiration board -which is messy, as it has piece for all seasons.
    After I read your “simply” post, I went ahead to do the same (or as close as I could). Felt SO good!

March 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Yeah I realized my cold weather and warm weather looks are so different!! It’s helped me realize what to look for. Even little things like “Oh I don’t like scoop necks” or “Avoid billowing shirts!” help so much when shopping.

March 10, 2014 at 2:26 AM
  • Reply Kristen

I definitely agree with your list of things you do not like. I’m kind of scared for the spring to come because I definitely do not have any spring clothing. It’s always a struggle to keep true to my style and choice of color (black) in the spring and summer. Great post!

March 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Haha I was scared too!! But I went with neutrals (carmel/biege, light pink, navy, stripes and polka dots) and I’m loving what I’ve picked out from ASOS. It took really digging through their store but was happy with my finds!

March 10, 2014 at 2:27 AM
  • Reply Juliette Laura

Love simplifying my wardrobe. I am not a huge fan of wearing a ton of color, and so I have been paring my wardrobe down a lot that way, keeping a my greys and blacks. Thanks for the inspiration!

March 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Yeah I pretty much only wear dark jeans or black pants with neutral tops! I do have a bright green sweater but it feels weird when I wear it!

March 10, 2014 at 2:27 AM