Personal

You Guys, Life.

You guys. Life. I’m so, so thankful but so, so tired. I skipped blogging yesterday and was thankful to have a city guide on Wednesday because I just don’t have the same amount of time to blog that I used to. I had to make some major decisions this week. Decisions that were hard (like turn down a lot of projects and cut back my hours) but completely necessary to my well-being. You can’t work 12 hour days every day, only eat one meal throughout a 24 hour period and never see your husband…and be successful. If I had decided to keep that up, I would have failed (aka: snap).

Sometimes you’ll read posts like this every so often. The momentum builds with my business, I start making more money and the next thing you know I’m taking a step back again and checking my priorities. It’s kind of overwhelming to know that it comes in waves and I wonder if I’ll ever just “get it” or have it figured out. Probably not. Then life would be boring, huh?

Anyways, I’m thankful that it’s Friday because I need the rest of the world to slow down with me. I need a day or two when emails aren’t constantly hitting my inbox. I need rest so I can do it again next Monday. Here are a few things that I’m loving lately (because I still do really love life!):

• LUSH. Addicted. I think I’ll actually start showering every day so I can use that Ro’s Argan Body Conditioner.
  • Festive outfits. I snagged those boots at TJ Maxx.
  • My 5lb bag of almond flour from Nuts.com.
  • My new lens! I bought the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and am shooting a portrait session this afternoon!
  • A Christmas party invitation designed by one of my friends. Love it.
  • Apple Pie Mead from Brother’s Drake. I could drink a whole bottle. It’s like they bottled the holidays and now it’s in my glass.

I hope you all have a great weekend and that you are able to relax too! What are your plans? If you’re in the Columbus area (and you like blogging + brunch), come to our Let’s Do Brunch event

• Reply Hanna

Hey, you’re right, people need to slow down once in a while and you definitely should if you actually lived like you described (one meal in 24 hours?!). Hope you have a great and relaxing weekend.

November 16, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Yeah the whole eating thing is just ridiculous haha. I would skip breakfast and lunch and then by 8pm eat dinner. HORRIBLE! Especially since I love food.

November 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM
  • Reply meghan

Allie- I’ve got a question for you. What lens is your go-to lens? I’m looking to get one for christmas. I’ve got a great zoom, and use my kit lens for mostly everything. I”m not always thrilled with the results! Was wondering if you had a good, sharp wide angle you’d recommend? Or even what your go-to lens was?

November 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Hey Meghan!

Well I used to shoot with my 50mm f1.8 all the time but realized it was too cropped with my already cropped camera. I’ve really loved the Sigma 30mm f1.4 so far. A lot wider for my T2i. I really just depends on what kind of camera you have. Check out my friend Andy’s post about lenses here: http://madebyandy.com/blog/what-lenses-to-buy

November 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • Reply mandie

We’re doing our thanksgiving shopping this evening, then I’m hoping to do as much prep as is possible, eat a yummy breakfast or two with my husband, hopefully do some online christmas shopping and stay in my pjs as long as I can justify it. :)

Happy weekend Allison!

November 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Fun! I love Thanksgiving! I’m also prepping (food-wise) and am making scones, biscuits and 2 pies! All in my PJ’s of course :)

November 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM
  • Reply Joelle

Oh….life :) I get what you mean my dear, and I’m glad you’re prioritizing as needed. We want you to like what you do, not burn out! I hope you have the relaxing weekend you need, and enjoy more of that apple pie mead. I may need to go find some for myself! xoxo

November 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Thanks Joelle!! And yes try to find apple pie mead. It’s AMAZING.

November 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM
  • Reply Jessica

I was laying in bed last night thinking about things I wish I had accomplished that day and thought of you and Adam and how disciplined you are and how hard you work. You are truly an inspiration, and if I’m allowed to say so, I’m super proud of you. On the flip side, though, yo’ure certainly right…being burnt out and not getting to breathe and spend time with your husband isn’t going to get you very far and I’m glad you’re getting to relax a little!

November 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Aw thank you for such sweet words, Jess!! It really means a lot. And yes no matter how much Adam and I “accomplish” it’s not worth it if we never spend time together.

November 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM
  • Reply Lauren

I’m so amazed at your ability to take a step back, take a breath, and realize what’s really important. It’s inspiring. I know one of my biggest short-comings is to get all tangled up in the here and now, the demands, the worry about letting people down–and ultimately I just let myself down. So thank you for this, I needed this slice of reality. I hope things settle down for you and that you have an amazing weekend!

November 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Thank you Lauren! I appreciate that. Sometimes I feel like a failure because it needs to happen so much – I wish I had a more consistent grip on my schedule and time. Hope you have a great weekend too!

November 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM
  • Reply brianna [ at observant nomad ]

I am completely jealous of your LUSH loot! I’m a big fan of the face masks and vanilla/lavender bath bombs.

November 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I need to give the masks a try. I’m a Clinique girl and always break out when I use other products.

November 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM
  • Reply Liz

Omg I want to try that Mead stuff. I’ve never heard of it before but it sounds delicious!

November 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It’s honey wine and it’s my new favorite!!! The meadery here makes the apple pie flavor and it always sells out so I bought two bottles obvs :)

November 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM
  • Reply Mary

I would like to hang out. Make your way to Tennessee.

November 16, 2012 at 9:12 PM