Leave a comment - 19 so far

3 Simple (And Meaningful!) Art Projects

Each month, Tori (from That Pair of Crutches) guests posts on Show + Tell with her own spin on art in your home. In case you missed last month’s, check it out here!

Art is defined as something that is beautiful, appealing or of more than ordinary significance. When I think of art in galleries, art that I want to fill my home, the art that is currently filling my home, the pieces usually fall into the first two categories. But what about the last one? Would you go to a gallery to see old family photos from someone else’s dusty photo albums? Would you want to look at paintings done by another person’s two year old? Probably not. But when I think of the pieces that I want to fill my home, it’s usually the ones that are only significant to my family members that I want to hold the spotlight.

Here are three simple art projects that you already have all the supplies for, can be done in less than an hour (combined!) and will instantly make your house feel more like your home.

1. Get your hands dirty. Grab some paints and a blank sheet of paper and get ready to make a mess. Finger painting is one of the simplest  and most archaic forms of art, but when doen right, can look so great and adds a  nice, sentimental touch to your home. Especially when the piece was created by a child or spouse.

2. Do a little digging. Is your toddler a budding artist? Just discovered your spouse was quite the Picasso in second grade? Choose your favorite piece from your little artist and give it the care and attention you would an image created by any other accomplished artist. Actually, give it a bit more.

3. Who do you love? Look up to your great-grandmother? Have an old photo of your father that you adore? Slip that puppy out of it’s plastic home in your photo album and put it in a frame. Filling your home with art you love and the people you love don’t have to be two separate things.

What are your favorite pieces of art in your home? Have any fun projects you’d like to share? I’d love to hear and see them!

Tori

Photos credits: Finger Painting | Displaying Children’s Art | Old Photos

You Might Also Like

• Reply Beth @ dot in the city August 23, 2012 at 8:27 AM

These are all such great ideas! I’ve been collecting old photos of family members and have dreams of making a collage of them :)

• Reply Allison August 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Be sure to share if you do create something!!

• Reply Tori August 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Yes, please do! I’d love to see it.

• Reply Cassie August 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I cringe at the thought of putting holes through those beautiful, old photos, but it sure does make a gorgeous display!

• Reply Allison August 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Haha this is true…I wonder if there are any other alternatives…

• Reply Tori August 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Actually, a lot of those photos aren’t pinned, they just have pins REALLY close to them. I learned this trick from my professors in college while displaying work. Stick a pin near the top and bottom, angled toward the photos. Easy and you don’t have to damage those beautiful photos!

• Reply Christie Jones August 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Oh I love these ideas! I just made a bunch of inexpensive ombre styled canvas paintings with the colors used in each room.

• Reply Allison August 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM

That’s awesome! What kind of paint?

• Reply Tori August 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM

That sounds really cool! I’d love to see pictures!

• Reply Jade August 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Oh, I really adore what you’ve done with the old family photos, Tori, it looks lovely.

I’ve just moved in to a new apartment and I’ve got plenty of white walls to cover up, so I might give this a go!

• Reply Allison August 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM

It’s always fun to work with a new space! My husband and I are thinking of moving into a bigger apartment and I get excited about that.

• Reply Tori August 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM

White walls might depress some, but all I see is opportunity! They make me so happy. Good luck filling up yours!

• Reply MixedMolly August 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Love these ideas. I like to use family photographs and vintage pieces around the house.

• Reply Allison August 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM

It’s such a good idea! Loved the recs from Tori.

• Reply Tori August 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Thanks, Allie and Molly!

• Reply Overlooked Art Forms: Textiles | Be Up & Doing September 21, 2012 at 7:01 AM

[…] far in our Meaningful Art series, we’ve talked about how to remember your first home, and some DIY projects that will instantly make your house feel more like a home. Today, I wanted to share one of the most […]

• Reply Overlooked Art Forms: Pottery | Be Up & Doing July 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM

[…] far in our Meaningful Art series, we’ve talked about how to remember your first home, and some DIY projects that will instantly make your house feel more like a home. Last month, I started off this […]

• Reply Diana March 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM

These are lovely ideas. Ive just stumbled on your blog via pinterest. Will definitely have a meander through your blog!

I made this artwork for a friend out of the :”self portraits” the kids did each year for school tea towels.

• Reply Handprint Wall Art | Decor Hacks November 12, 2014 at 6:00 AM