Health + Wellness

Homemade Aloe Vera Gel

Once a month, Heather from Tea With Me will be guest posting here on Show + Tell by focusing on a specific herb and showcasing their properties and medicinal uses. Not only do I love Heather’s photography and insight but her writing style draws me in every time! Enjoy and be sure to welcome Heather in the comment section!

Does anyone remember Excel’s Inferno gum commercials? I would always sing “Burn baby burn excel inferno!!” and K would correct me constantly. As we dive into summer, it’s inevitable that someone is going to get sunburned, especially when you are as fair as I am.

Known as Cleopatra’s beauty secret aloe vera is almost a mystical healing plant famously known for its capability to heal sunburns, but it also boosts immunity and has anti-inflammatory properties. Originally found in North Africa you can find your own little plant in most nurseries.

Would you be surprised if I told you aloe vera gel was clear? If not, why put a gel with green dye and perfumes on the largest organ you have?  Not only does it have dye, but that green Banana Boat goop has SD Alcohol 40, Glycerin, polysorbate 2, and more. Making your own homemade aloe vera gel could not be any easier.

What You’ll Need:

• Aloe Vera Leaf
  • Coconut Oil
  • Vitamin E (optional)
  • Cutting board
  • Knife
  • Spoon
  • Bowl/Blender

Since the amount of gel from a leaf can vary please use a 2:1 ratio between the aloe vera and coconut oil.

Note – A blender will make the lotion a lot smoother than smashing the aloe vera gel with a spoon or mortar and pestle.

Clean your hands and workspace thoroughly, you don’t want to have your homemade aloe vera salve contaminated. Choose a large succulent leaf from the base of the mother plant and slice off. Lay it down on the cutting board and slice the length of it without cutting all the way through.

In between the skin and the gel, there is a yellow residue; I find it helpful to let this drain. Once that is done peel back the edges and scoop out the gel with a spoon.

Add it to either a blender (if you wish to have it smoother) or mash it with a spoon and a bowl (or mortar and pestle). Mix in coconut oil and vitamin E, which is optional, and rub on to the burned area. If you have leftovers store in an airtight container in the fridge, aloe vera gel/salve always feels better cool on hot skin!

Coconut oil is a very effective moisturizer especially for dry skin. Like aloe vera, coconut has healing properties for skin problems such as eczema and others. If you will be using the entire amount right away feel free to skip the vitamin E. It helps preserve the salve a little longer in the fridge.

• Reply Heidi

This is great! We have the biggest aloe plant ever. The leaves are as big and long as my arms! I’ve been meaning to figure out how to make something of this sorts, so the tutorial was just what I needed!

July 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Yay! I have an aloe plant too and I agree – now I can actually use it!

July 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM
  • Reply Deanna

My mother always snipped off some of her aloe plant and rubbed it on my cuts and scrapes when I was a child. Now, as an adult plagued with eczema, it’s funny that it never occurred to me to use aloe for healing. I’ll be looking for a plant this weekend.

Looking forward to future posts from Heather!

July 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Thanks for the comment, Deanna! I hope it helps. And I agree with you – so excited about future posts from Heather.

July 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    • Reply Heather Mulholland

Awww thanks Deanna!

The bf suffers from eczema as well and when he tested the product he noticed the rashes on his fingers actually felt better the next day.

July 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM
  • Reply Aloe Vera Salve | Tea with Me

[…] today you can find me guest posting over at Show & Tell. Where I show you step by step how to make your own Aloe Vera gel with a special ingredient. Thank […]

July 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM
  • Reply Charlotte Day

A great way to make the aloe vera gel last longer. Great post.

July 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Glad you enjoyed :)

July 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM
  • Reply shaina longstreet

I have very bad eczema, and have my whole life. I never thought to use aloe for that! Thanks for the little recipe and suggestion. I’m gonna try and find a plant soon…or maybe my mother-in-law has one!! :)

July 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    • Reply Heather Mulholland

Hi Shaina, I would love to hear how your eczema heals with the aloe. K is my test subject, but I’m sure he will get tired of me asking how the aloe is working lol

I’m not a 100% sure about this, but you could always try finding pre bottled aloe vera gel at a natural health store or you could try soaking your hand a bit in some aloe vera juice. I read somewhere that they used to pour the juice into baths and soak in it for sunburns.

In premade aloe vera gel you usually find – colouring, preservatives, a thickener (the above recipe is thinner than premade stuff), and a few other things to make the product “feel nice”. If you go the pre-bottled way, look at the ingredients and make sure it’s relatively pure aloe. If it’s green I wouldn’t want to be putting the dye chemicals on to open eczema wounds.

July 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I hope it helps!! Thanks for the comment :)

July 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM
  • Reply kyleen

This is such a good idea, making you’re own aloe vera gel! I want to go out and buy an aloe vera plant now. Heather, your photos are gorgeous.

August 1, 2012 at 12:12 AM
  • Reply allison lehman : show + tell / Homemade Calendula Oil

[…] month, Heather joins us over here to share her knowledge and love of herbs! Last month she shared how to create your own aloe vera gel and this month she’s sharing how to create your own Calendula oil + how to incorporate it […]

August 17, 2012 at 7:01 AM
  • Reply Wheat Grass Surprise

[…] cup decaffeinated green tea or celery juice This is a good drink for those who like to avoid sugar. It sounds a bit extreme ~ but it tastes good…up decaffeinated green tea or celery juice WordPress › Error html { background: […]

October 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • Reply Significant benefits to the skin of aloe vera gel | ABCINFOPAGES.COM

[…] to reduce and treat acne. Gel can be used to shed light on the skin, and the reduction of drought. Significant benefits on skin of aloe vera gel medicinal value of aloe plant is the first discovery o…erived gel for a variety of uses. It is used for internal and external consumption. Using gel in […]

November 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM
  • Reply ryyth

thanks allison for this great post. i would love to know a few things more about it:

1. could you tell me how to get vitamin e? did u mean vitamin e capsule?
    2. how long can this gel be stored in fridge?
    3. if the yellow residue mixes with the gel, will it affect the quality of the gel?

thanks again.

November 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    • Reply Arya

You can either get vitamin E oil, or use the gel from capsules.

January 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • Reply Arya

One thing I didn’t do was heat up the coconut oil before hand. Doing so makes it 20x easier! I used a morder and pestle, and it worked great, thanks for the recipe! For those of you who don’t know, the easiest way to heat it up is by filling the sink up with hot water, then putting the jar in until the oil looks…l well, oily. Thanks again, Arya

January 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Great to hear you tried it!! Thanks for the tip!

January 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • Reply Svetlana

Aloe vera is a miracle product!

April 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • Reply collection longchamp

Hello! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the excellent job!

May 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM
  • Reply cassandra

if using as a antinflammtory how many time sould be used in day

May 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I’m not sure – I would head on over to teawithmeblog.com and ask Heather!

August 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • Reply Jean

Hi Heather,
    I might need a bit more instruction about this. I warmed the Coconut oil gently then mixed it with the Aloe Gel but it wouldn’t blend together. The Coconut oil solidified on the top and the gel was underneath. Your advice would be appreciated??
    Jean

June 3, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Hi Jean,

I would head on over to teawithmeblog.com and ask Heather via her contact methods!

August 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • Reply Aloe Vera Juice

It’s really interesting how aloe vera can be mixed along with other ingredients. Thank for posting this! The coconut oil, I believe is a great remedy too for other skin diseases like fungus and bacteria.

June 3, 2013 at 4:42 AM

It definitely is!!

August 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • Reply AloeveraDr

This is seriously an exemplary post. Thanx for sharing.
    My mother used to tell me benefits of this MIRACLE STUFF “Aloe Vera”. And here I got a great way to prepare in home itself. Good Idea to make fresh and natural ALOE VERA GEL. :)

June 27, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Couldn’t agree more!

August 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • Reply Wild Beauty: Rose Coconut Milk Bath | Be Up & Doing

[…] mentioned in the aloe vera gel recipe, coconut does wonders for our skin, especially when most of us aren’t able to go outside to […]

July 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • Reply Bee MAnalang

Thanks for this post , I’m searching natural remedies for my son’s allergy /eczema and this is it ! He’s been sick and tired of dr’s meds . Will try this out .

August 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

That is great to hear!

August 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • Reply Ping

Mine became frothy after blending and it did not dissipate. Why is that? Is the froth part of the cream?
    Also, the result is a sticky gel and not like those non sticky commercial gel consistency, right?

September 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM
  • Reply ana

i did my aloe vera gel.It became like waters.and in fridge it becamed red.i didint used vitamin e.Can i use it now.or i have to do another gel.

October 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM
  • Reply aloeverabusiness4u

Nice way to make this product in such a natural way. :)

October 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM
  • Reply akbar

thanks allison

December 23, 2013 at 6:09 AM
  • Reply rachel

Can this be applied on hair?

March 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM
  • Reply Izaak

I didn’t know that Aloe Vera can be used for treating eczema.thank you for all this is very valuable information in your post.I also like to share some of my information on that would be a great value to all your readers.

November 27, 2014 at 5:48 AM
  • Reply rich people cosmetics

Just desire to say your article is as surprising.
    The clearness in your post is just great and i can assume you’re
    an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let
    me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

January 5, 2015 at 12:44 AM
  • Reply EvanAlbert

Thanks for sharing such a great information about aloe vera. It really seems to be a wonder plant.

February 5, 2015 at 1:20 AM
  • Reply Sarah

Thank you for the herbal recipes!! It’s rare to find all natural recipes that don’t end up having man-made, processed ingredients. Do you have any suggestions for reference books on herbology/botany?

April 29, 2015 at 12:33 PM
  • Reply Aloe Vera Gel

Aloe vera is one of the most powerful and well-known medicinal plant.

May 4, 2015 at 4:21 AM
  • Reply gulet charter turkey

Incredible, marvelous website . gulet charter turkeystructure! The length of time have you been blog intended for? you made blogging and site-building look straightforward. Your entire look within your website is amazing, as perfectly for the reason that written content!

May 19, 2015 at 1:29 AM
  • Reply Zoe

Your website is fantastic! I am in need of a bit of advice. I made my first batch of aloe vera gel today and I used both the Vitamin C and E because another website (which I will never again refer to) suggested both. My dilemma now is how to fix too much oil in the mix. Can it be fixed or is this one a do over?

March 30, 2016 at 7:13 PM
  • Reply Kaye Loffler

Thank you so much for the recipe, and I will use it. I have often sliced a part from my plant for burns etc in the past, mind you when I remembered that it was in my garden. I have just been up north of Australia on holiday and was plagued with sand flies. I had gone to the chemist for a cream while in Broome. N.T. After two tubes I really don’t think it helped. I still scratched continuously until I thought of my aloe vera. I am positive it stopped all itching immediately. I often give plants away from my main plant as they continuously grow small babies as I call them.

August 9, 2016 at 9:32 PM