Leave a comment - 19 so far

Relish: Mashed Potato Pizza

Relish, a food series, is hosted by guest blogger Jon Schelander-Pugh! Read more about him below this recipe!

In a few cities in Minnesota, there is a pizza restaurant called Pizza Luce, and they have all kinds of wonderful things. One of these pizzas is a garlic mashed potato pizza, and I thought I would set out to make something similar.

The mashed potatoes alone are good, and I made a double batch so we’d have some just to eat later on. You’ll want a thicker dough for this because the potatoes can be heavy for a really thin crust. Bake time will also fluctuate based on dough thickness and if you use a stone, dish, or anything else, so just keep an eye on your pizza as you bake it.

If you aren’t usually a fan of tomatoes, I suggest you try sundried tomatoes instead. I used to hate tomatoes, but I loooooved them sundried. Now I’ve managed to like both.

Something I didn’t do but my wife suggested for next time is having a dish of sour cream to dip the pizza in or a dollop of it on top. I would recommend giving this a try.

And, of course, if you are a fan of bacon, I imagine some crumbled pieces on this pizza would also go over very well. I tend to avoid meats when possible, but I can appreciate the undeniably delicious flavor bacon can bring to a dish.

Relish: Mashed Potato Pizza

• ⅛ - ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan
  • pizza dough
  • 1-2 Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 6-8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Instructions
  1. Peel potatoes and chop into equal-sized pieces. Place in a large pot. Peel the shell/skin off of each clove and place in the pot with the potatoes. Sprinkle the kosher salt over everything and fill with water until it covers it all.
  2. Bring the potatoes & garlic to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium and keep at a rolling boil until the potatoes are soft enough that they break apart when poked with a fork or folk goes all the way through potatoes easily.
  3. While the potatoes are boiling, put milk, sour cream, butter, and chives in a saucepan and heat while constantly stirring until the butter has melted and blended into everything else. Remove from heat.
  4. When the potatoes are done, drain and mash. You can use a fork or anything else that will effectively mash the potatoes. Then mix in the milk mixture and Parmesan cheese, and stir until you have creamy mashed potatoes.
  5. Preheat the oven to 400.
  6. If you need to make your pizza dough, do so now. It would be beneficial to pre-bake a homemade dough for about 10 minutes before putting toppings on.
  7. Spread mashed potatoes over dough, about as much as you would put on sauce. On top of this spread your diced tomatoes and crumbled feta. Sprinkle dried oregano over everything.
  8. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until done. Subtract any pre-bake time you might have done for the crust.

You Might Also Like

• Reply rachael May 15, 2012 at 9:11 AM

oh wow, this looks dee-licious! I like the idea of the sour cream, I’ll have to try that!

• Reply Allison May 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Mmm I love sour cream!

• Reply Bethany Barkey May 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

ooooooh. My husband and I love to experiment with delicious pizza toppings! I will definitely have to show this to him to try next time we itch to make a pizza!

• Reply Allison May 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

DO! I’ve been loving making homemade pizza as well and I’m excited to try this with bacon!

• Reply Jess Rogers May 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Oh my goodness, how amazing does that look? Totally trying this out. Anyone have good ideas for what to serve it with?

• Reply Allison May 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Hmmm as far as sides…I can’t really think of anything! Maybe go overboard and make sweet potato fries? Haha. Too much?

• Reply Jon Schelander-Pugh May 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Because this is heavy with bread, potatoes, and cheese, something fresh would probably be really good. Maybe a coleslaw (there actually are some good ones out there) or a veggie-packed salad. Or roasted veggies are always delicious.

Hope that’s helpful!

• Reply Allison May 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM

YES! Coleslaw (when done right) is amazing. Good call, Jon.

• Reply Kate May 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM

That looks amazing! We used to order something kinda like that at Uno’s, I think they called it pizza skins. It was my favorite! Yum!

• Reply Allison May 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM

YUM! Good name for it.

• Reply Riette May 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Looks delicious! The photos are also really good. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Allison May 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Glad you enjoyed it, Riette! And I agree, Jon takes amazing photos.

• Reply Jacqueline May 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Mmmm… I’m going to have to try this. Sounds delicious.

• Reply Allison May 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Let me know how yours turns out!!

• Reply Recipe Box: Blackberry-Rhubarb-Lemon Dessert Pizza | Jon Schelander-Pugh May 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

[…] and I’ve made a few that work great for dinners. If you haven’t already, check out my guest post on Allison Lehman’s amazing blog for a mashed potato pizza recipe! But today and next week I will be venturing into alternative […]

• Reply 21 Ways You Can Take Mashed Potatoes To The Next Level - zdouf! January 22, 2014 at 3:56 AM

[…] Woah, someone call the carb police. Get the recipe here. […]

• Reply 21 Ways To Take Mashed Potatoes To The Next Level | GossipViews.com January 22, 2014 at 5:10 AM

[…] Woah, someone call the carb police. Get the recipe here. […]

• Reply 21 Ways To Take Mashed Potatoes To The Next Level | Ukraine December 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM

[…] Woah, someone call the carb police. Get the recipe here. […]

• Reply Pure Social Shares » 21 Ways To Take Mashed Potatoes To The Next Level February 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM

[…] Woah, someone call the carb police. Get the recipe here. […]