The Day I Threw Away 100 Things

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 12.37.48 PM

Last week my friend Meg tweeted about one of her favorite blogs, Make Under My Life. Jess (the blogger) states that it’s about designing a life of intention and I loved her post about throwing out 100 things. Obviously Jess’s blog soon became one of my favorites and I took on the challenge myself. I threw away 100 things (and as Jess points out…after you recycle, upcycle and donate…you’ll still have trash which is what some of this stuff was). Here’s what I threw out:

• a pair of goggles
  • a pair of sunglasses
  • a lamp from IKEA
  • 4 unused journals
  • 13 PRINT magazines
  • 3 Whole Living magazines
  • an issue of The New Yorker
  • an issue of Dwell
  • an issue of Crave
  • 1 pair of sandals
  • 2 wallets
  • 1 thing of Clinique face powder (wrong shade)
  • 1 brutes bee’s travel set
  • 2 CDs
  • French manicure strips
  • a laptop sleeve
  • 3 books
  • a laptop bag
  • a purse
  • a pair of Christmas pants
  • a Christmas sweatshirt
  • a trench coat
  • 12 shirts
  • 6 cardigan sweaters
  • 3 dresses
  • 8 pairs of underwear
  • 3 bras
  • 4 random socks
  • a pair of old slippers
  • a necklace
  • a headband
  • a tube of lotion that i don’t like
  • a old bottle of Ralph Lauren perfume
  • 2 candlesticks
  • a bag of tea light candles
  • 4 unused Christmas themed paper plate sets
  • 4 coasters
  • a Christmas themed tin
  • 1 gross, broken dog toy (not pictured…Desh kept trying to take it back)

It feels really good to throw crap out. Especially clothes. I went through my dresser drawers and closet and asked myself, “Do I ever like the way this looks when I put it on?” or “Have I worn this in the past year?” If the answer was no then I decided to get rid of it. The cool thing is it’s fun to re-gift (without acting like you re-gifted) or donating old magazines to doctors’ offices. And so now I challenge you…get rid of 100 things!

P.S Sorry for the yellowy awful pictures. I got rid of my stuff Sunday evening and I’m hardly home with sunlight anymore!

1. candace m. on January 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM

i’m currently in the “get rid of 1000 things” mode as i move my studio from one room to another in my house! it feels so liberating!! :D

throughout the switch, i have realized that i have a very serious addiction to notebooks, clipboards, and yellow mechanical pencils.

• Allison on January 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Yay for brand new studio! Make sure you blog about it once it’s finished.

We very much simplified our lives when we downgraded from a 1200 sq ft to the little closest we live in now. I really enjoyed it. We literally have 2 small closets now so it was sort of difficult to find 100 things to get rid of.

2. Ann on January 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Aw I just discovered your blog, and I love it! Just read this post on Jess LC as well, I had massively cleaned my house the week between Christmas and NY’s, so it felt super good to know other people were doing the same :)

• Allison on January 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Ann! I’m so glad you commented. I absolutely adore your blog. Looking forward to reading and keeping up with you!

• Ann on January 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Aw! Ditto :)

3. nick on January 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM

i can’t believe you threw those goggles away.

• Allison on January 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM

HAHA. Don’t worry…they were my brother’s. He bought them for $5 at Walgreens.

4. hellolala on January 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM

been de cluttering my home for the past 6 months now! its been a slow journey but at least its progess! yay!

• Allison on January 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM

It’s pretty therapeutic! But dang it takes a long time! And it always looks worse before it gets better.

5. Ana Maria / Anamu on January 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Thanks for sharing this! I did a MAJOR purge before moving overseas but now it’s time to do it again. It’s amazing how easy it is to accumulate *stuff*

• Allison on January 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Moving definitely motivates me to de-clutter. I usually think to myself, “Do I want to move this? Or throw it away?” Usually I get rid of it.

6. Sarah Von on January 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Awesome! I swear to God, getting rid of things is, like, my second favorite hobby ;)

• Allison on January 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Mine too! After ACCUMULATING the stuff :) haha

7. Summer on February 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I love this. The photographic evidence of de-cluttering is brilliant!

• Allison on February 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

YES. Photo documentation proves that you got rid of it (even if it feels like you didn’t).

8. Colleen / Inspired to Share on February 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM

This is such a brilliant idea and I’m now convinced I need to do this!!

• Allison on February 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Let me know if you do! Love your blog Colleen!

9. eyeliah on February 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Great work! Its about time I do this again.

• Allison on February 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Good luck :)

10. Links Lundi | Ruby Bastille on February 13, 2012 at 4:08 AM

[…] started her new year by throwing away 100 things. (from Yes And […]

11. Mia on February 20, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Hi! I saw what you were doing on yes and yes and decided to do it too, and it’s kind of changing my life, so thanks! I’m only up to twenty (so’s my husband though, so that’s 40) but we’ve thrown out so much crap, as well as do related things like return borrowed books etc and replace lightbulbs (it’s so weird to be able to see again). Onward and upward!

12. For the Love of Links 2 » Coco Mama on July 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM

[…] The day I threw away 100 things. Fantastic idea. […]

13. dana on August 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I am moving abroad to be with my fiance and I have to throw out more than half of what I own. My throw away pile is significantly larger than my take with me pile. I even thought I was going to have to leave my car behind but I found a great overseas car shipping company. I can’t wait to get over there to see him. It actually feels good to throw away a lot of stuff. Thanks for sharing!

• Allison on August 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Ohhh good luck with the move!! How amazing. Where are you headed?